Saturday, December 8, 2012

Can I just walk into a dentists office to get help?

Q. I moved out of my parents and to another city but my dentist I've always gone to is down there. NOw i got this bump on my my upper gum above a root canal i once had. I'm trippin cuz I looked it up and I think it's abscess tooth or something.

Can I just walk in to any dentist?

A. yes if you are in pain they will do anything they can to help you.


Can you walk out of the dentist's office yourself when having your wisdom teeth removed?
Q. Can you walk out of the dentist's office yourself when having your wisdom teeth removed?

I am 16 so they are not grown in that much so I was told by the dentist it would be much easier to take them out and I would heal faster.

Should be an easy routine process, Can I walk out of the office myself? Will I be able to walk, be alert, talk etc?

None are impacted or infected so the anasehsia (sp?) should be minimal

A. If you are just numbed up you most likely would be okay. If you had any type of sedation dentistry or general anesthetic, you would need help. Good luck.


What is the best type of teeth I should ask my dentist to use to change some of mine?
Q. I need to change some of my teeth. What is the best material I should ask my dentist to use - quality and money wise. What else shall I consider when having teeth replaced?

A. You can't replace your teeth, unless you go with implants and then you wouldn't be asking that question here. so I can only assume you mean fillings. Crowns are most of the time covered by porcelain which is OK but they still have to be placed on roots which are still susceptable to decay. So you need to brush and floss to keep your crowns from becoming undermined by decay. Now if your talking strictly fillings then it depends what type of dentist you see. A cosmetic dentist will sell you white fillings. White fillings are basically plastic bonded to your teeth. It's the bonding part that is the most important part of placing a white filling it is very technique sensative and therefore more prone to fail if your dentist is not careful. Metal fillings are amalgams; they can be placed under water, in a bloody area, and twice as fast as plastic and they will still achieve a very good seal with the tooth, BUT they are ugly. I usually reccomend metal fillings for practical people not obsessed by their teeth and the thought of the few micrograms of mercury leached out by the amalgam over the lifetime of the filling. They're cheap, but ugly and last a long time most of the time. Plastic goes into my most reliable patients, who walk into my office with a hand mirror open obssesed by appearance. They are more expensive and look great. If your'e not the most reliable dental patient then go for the metal. But then your dentist should tell you all this.


Will I have problems as a dentist because of wearing my hijab?
Q. Asselamualeykum aleykum I am planning on goin to a university to become a dentist inshallah. I was wondering will wearing a hijab cause problems for me in the USA? Does anyone out there go to a university and wear hijab? How do people treat you, teachers etc? Also will I have problems working as a dentist with a hijab on? Thanks. Jazakallah khair

A. The only problem you might encounter are from ignorant people but they won't be any different than just walking on the street. You go and learn and show everyone you are as good of a dentist as everyone else. It is sad that you have to proof yourself more than others just because you show you are modest and believe in God but that is the reality. I would love to go to a female dentist who wears hijab but there are not many around here :) Good luck and may Allah bless you





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment