Saturday, December 8, 2012

Can I have an IV Sedation at the dentist to have impressions taken?

Q. I have a severe gag reflex and am having 3 wisdom teeth taken out next week. They are going to give me an IV Sedation. This now terrifies me but if I'm going to have this, could they take impressions too at the same time? If they do, will it be okay? I long to have my teeth straightened.

A. Yes, you can have IV sedation, but first make sure there are no alternatives.

I have a terrible gag reflex, too, so I know what you go through. (My dentist--a sedation dentist, of course--said my gag reflex is the worst he's seen in 20+ years of practice.) In my case, however, the dentist and I discovered that using a lot of xylocaine (which everyone still calls novocaine) made it possible for me to get impressions *without* IV sedation. Basically, once the mouth and tongue were made super-numb, there was nothing to make me gag. The same procedure might work for you. If not, ask about combining xylocaine with oral sedation.

IV sedation should be a last resort, because there is always a small risk of something going wrong when you use IV sedation. It can be a godsend for people who need it, but you should first try less invasive techniques. If you still gag, IV sedation is still an option.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.


sedation for dentist work in a 22 month old child?
Q. my child has to get his 2 front teeth pulled. he is 22 months old. they told me they will use sedation to that will make him loopy. does anyone have any experience or had this done to their small child before. i am terrified, i cant go into the room with him either. he is not allowed to eat or drink, the appointment is at 1pm. it just sounds like a huge torture.

A. Call your pediatrician to see if sedation is okay. Does he really need to get his teeth pulled at 2? I'm sorry you are going though this. I know how scary it is especially when you see your child in any kind of pain. Good luck and I hope he gets through it with no problems.


How does a nitrous sedation feel when having a tooth extracted?
Q. I need to get a wisdom tooth removed and Ive always had the I.V. sedation option, my new dentist only offers Nitrous sedation and I'm afraid its gonna be gross ?
Has anyone done it this way?

A. GAS MAKES YOU RELAXED FOR THE SHOTS & EXTRACTION
THIS IS FINE AND ALL WILL GO WELL.


Can a regular dentist sedate me?
Q. i know i can go to a sedation dentist but i currently don't have insurance and really want to go t the dentist. i suffer from something called dental-phobia. i really would perfer a sedation dentist. most sedation dentist offices don't accept insurance anyways. s my questions is:

how much is 1 visit at the sedation dentist?

and...

can a regular dentist put me under sedation? if so how much with out insurance?

A. Most dentists can prescribe drugs you can take before your appointment to relax and calm you down. To do IV sedation requires special training and not all dentists do this.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment