Sunday, December 9, 2012

How do you trust a dentist that says your kids need braces?

Q. Understanding that dentists run a business to generate profits, it seems most will recommend braces for kids. How do you know if they really need them? A couple of dentist have said they are necessary due to an overbite, but isn't a slight overbite normal. When do you know that it's more of a cosmetic procedure rather than a medically necessary one?

A. There are two big reasons for braces. The first is to improve function--like if there is trouble chewing, or if the patient keeps biting his cheeks, or if the teeth on the top and bottom are contacting in such a way that the forces between them are higher than normal, causing wear to the teeth, etc. Also, in super crowded teeth there are more areas that are harder to clean with the toothbrush, so straightening them out can help to maintain good oral hygiene and prevent tooth decay.

The second reason is obviously cosmetics, and although there are "ideal" skeletal profiles that dentists learn about, this is largely up to the patient. Some people are terribly self-conscious, while others are just fine with the way they look and have no interest in changing.

Most dentists recommend an ideal treatment plan with the goal of making your teeth as perfect as possible in both function (which is always the most important consideration) and cosmetics. Unfortunately, the more expensive treatments are often (but not always) the better ones because they take more time and higher quality materials are used. I like to think that for most of us, the money is secondary. A huge part of the treatment plan is also based on what YOU (and your child) ultimately want, and if you are unsure about the benefits to you then you should definitely discuss them with your dentist before you decide if you want to follow through. S/he should also tell you what could happen if you choose not to put braces on at this point.

By getting a few different opinions and asking lots of questions, you should get a good feel for whether you and your child are ready to go through with braces at this point. The decision is completely yours, and all you can really do is just be as informed as you can when you make it.


How much would an visit to the dentist and a filling for a cavity cost without insurance?
Q. I haven't seen the dentist for a while and I'm pretty sure I have 3 cavities. I know it's a lot but I have always had weak enamel and try my best but still I get cavities. I even had cavities in my baby teeth even though I took good care of them.

So, How much would a visit to the dentist and a filling for a cavity cost without insurance?

A. charges vary from city to city and dentist to dentist... the best thing is to pick 3 closest to you and call and ask them.

now, you know, dental insurance isn't free. all those years that you got off scot-free, not paying monthly premiums, saved you hundreds and hundreds of dollars. that should be enough to cover your fillings.


What is the difference between a dentist and an oral surgeon?
Q. So I went to the dentist last week and they told me I have to see an oral surgeon because the tooth is curved or something like that. What is the difference? Also will they do anything different to pull the tooth or do they just have different tools to use? I'm confused, someone please tell me the difference.
BTW it's to get a tooth pulled.
When you say general anesthesia do you mean just the regular needle they give you in the gum or do you mean they would have to put me to sleep, because I really don't want to be put to sleep.

A. A dentist does general work like cavities, crowns, root canals, etc.

And oral surgeon is more educated and perform surgeries such as removing wisdom teeth and things like that. (more complicated procedures.)

I'm not to sure at all but if it is extremely curved the oral surgeon many have to cut the gum and give you stitches, normal dentist don't do that. Blah, I hope i didn't scare you. And sorry if i am wrong.


What was the black stuff the dentist put on my canker sore?
Q. I went to the dentist and told them about my canker sore before they started the cleaning. They put something on my canker sore that hurt like hell but after the sting, it never hurt again and was healed in a few days. I want to know what they put on my canker sore.

A. My guess would be silver nitrate, it can be used to cauterize a canker sore and can result in turing the skin temporarily black. If you're really wanting to know, I would call your dentist's office and just ask...they should have no problem with telling you and it's your right to know as a patient.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment