Sunday, December 9, 2012

Can I take Valium while getting teeth removed instead of expensive sedation?

Q. I am getting 2 wisdom teeth removed. Mild sedation costs $350. Dentist says they use fentynal. Insurance won't cover it. I have 30mg of Valium. Can I take the valium instead to take the edge off? If so how many mg? I am 5'3 123lb female.

A. You probably can take Valium, ask your doctor or dentist how much. They can tell you the correct dose. Also, make sure you get someone to drive you to your app't & stay with you for a while if you take valium.


My boyfriend is getting an IV sedation at the dentist tomorrow. What should I do after his appointment?
Q. I'm driving him there and back. The dentist just said I need to "supervise" him, but didn't elaborate. Some people said I needed to stay with him while he sleeps it off after the appointment, some people have said I can leave him alone (but still be in the same house) while he sleeps it off, and some people have said I can just leave him as soon as we get back home. What should I do?

A. I had IV sedation for a colonoscopy recently. My husband drove me home and I slept from about noon to 4pm. It was a very deep sleep, I woke up, ate dinner and was fine. You could probalby put him to bed and go do something and check on him in a couple of hours.


I'm looking for a sedation dentist that accepts caresource insurance in cleveland?
Q. I am absolutely terrified of the dentist. Does anyone know of a dentist or dental practice in Cleveland, North Royalton, or Strongsville (or near there) that accepts Caresource insurance, and practices sedation dentistry? I have to get cavities filled and am so petrified that I'm having panic attacks just at the thought of having my teeth checked.

A. Sedation may not be what you think

Just a heads up,you may not want them to give you the drug called Versed
( Midazolam )
In fact, many people who use Versed for " IV Sedation,Conscious Sedation" during a procedure are awake for the entire procedure but remember nothing, often believing they were "out" the whole time.



Versed (Midazolam) is an amnestic. It is commonly administered in combination with anesthesia before and during surgery. It is also commonly used for minor procedures like colonoscopies dental procedures like extractions,conscience sedation,twilight sleep, so that patients won't remember pain and discomfort.HOWEVER THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THOSE SENSATIONS WILL NOT BE EXPERIENCED!!!!Forgetting does no mean it did not happen!! Amnesia does NOT take place for some patients.

IT'S NOT MY INTENTION FOR YOU TO NOT GET THE PROCEDURE DONE, JUST INFORMING YOU THAT YOU MAY WANT IT DONE WITH ANOTHER DRUG!!!!!

Here is a note from a Dentist about Versed
I've used Versed 1000+ times during oral surgery procedures and I've never had a complaint. It's a miracle drug because it is safe and it causes you to not remember an unpleasant experience. My answer to him is isn't it better to have not experienced the pain than to have forgot it. No wonder you have had no complaints you gave them amnesia!!


Can I have an IV Sedation at the dentist to have impressions taken?
Q. I have a severe gag reflex and am having 3 wisdom teeth taken out next week. They are going to give me an IV Sedation. This now terrifies me but if I'm going to have this, could they take impressions too at the same time? If they do, will it be okay? I long to have my teeth straightened.

A. Yes, you can have IV sedation, but first make sure there are no alternatives.

I have a terrible gag reflex, too, so I know what you go through. (My dentist--a sedation dentist, of course--said my gag reflex is the worst he's seen in 20+ years of practice.) In my case, however, the dentist and I discovered that using a lot of xylocaine (which everyone still calls novocaine) made it possible for me to get impressions *without* IV sedation. Basically, once the mouth and tongue were made super-numb, there was nothing to make me gag. The same procedure might work for you. If not, ask about combining xylocaine with oral sedation.

IV sedation should be a last resort, because there is always a small risk of something going wrong when you use IV sedation. It can be a godsend for people who need it, but you should first try less invasive techniques. If you still gag, IV sedation is still an option.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment