Sunday, December 9, 2012

How long does a dentist appointment take that would consist of the following?

Q. I'm taking my dad to the dentist and I want to know how long it will take. This is his first trip to the dentist in 8 years so he's going to have a cleaning, and xrays and they are going to do a filling to. Anyone know how long this will take and whether or not I will have time to go shopping while he's there?
i need to go shopping for a birthday present since today is my only day off. the mall is located across the street from the dentist's office.

A. I would say 30 - 45 minutes for the cleaning since he hasn't been there in about 8 years. Then about 10 minutes for the topical gel to numb the gumline and another 5 minutes for the full numbness then about 10 minutes for the filling itself. I would estimate about 1 & 1/2 hours to 2 hours total. I wouldn't see any harm in going across the street to get a gift. Just make it back quickly incase the dentist runs into any problems.


My 14 year old daughter went to the dentist today, and my wife said the dentist wanted to seal her mollars?
Q. My wife said that the dentists wanted to seal my 14 year old daughters mollars, again. She has yet to have a cavity, and she had her early mollars sealed a few years ago. The cost is something like $45 per tooth, and there are 6 total mollars. Is it normal to have this done again, and if so, is $45 a decent charge?

A. Hi! I've been in dentistry for over 20 years. The answer is Yes and that is a good fee. The sealants protect the pit and fissures of the molars where decay begins and it is very difficult for most teens to brush and clean everyday. In fact, it is almost impossible to keep these areas free of food and bacteria. Considering the pain of decay, the cost of fillings, and the best part, cavity free, this is well worth it. For a modest amount of monies, in the scheme of things, you are giving your daughter a wonderful gift. Perfect teeth for most of her life. I personally can not stress enough the importance of sealants and how wonderful they are to reduce dental decay and long term issues that are extremely costly and painful. Please have this done. It is one of the best things you can do for your child and in the years to come will pay off, because, you do not pay for fillings, root canals and bad teeth. If you have any other questions, please contact me. Marie D~


What can I get for my roller derby girlfriend?
Q. My girlfriend is a roller derby girl and I'm trying to find some cute gifts for her for Christmas. I was trying to find maybe a stuffed bear or cat on roller skates, but nobody seems to make such a thing. I even tried the Vermont Teddy Bear site, but they had nothing. What are some cute ideas and where can I find them. I'm looking to spend around $50 or so, so I'd like to get her more than band-aids or socks. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A. Find something she likes, and try and get DerbyVixen to put it on a toe guard for her. Her toe guards are not like the flap of plain leather most skaters have on the toes of their skates. They wrap around the toes and attach to the toe-stop bolt. They have stars, skulls, all inds of other things (including custom designs). Link below.

Also, Nutcase helmets make some really wild-looking helmets, check the size of her current helmet or measure her head somehow... heh. Make sure to get the Street variety (skateboarding helmets). Avoid any designs with stars on them, those are against the rules most derby leagues use. Link below.

What about a subscription to Five on Five magazine? Official magazine of WFTDA, has a LOT of great information and advice. There's a discount on it if she's with a WFTDA league. There's also a separate photo annual if you think she'd like that that'll ship in December.

This one's a bit less fun/romantic but thoughtful. Get her a custom mouth guard made by a dentist? These protect her teeth (and protect her from concussions) better than the regular $2 mouth guard you get at the store. You may want to discuss this with her before committing to it.

My thinking is find some standard toe guards she'd like. Those would probably run between $25-30. Then get her the Five on Five subscription. $18-26 or so. You'll have something under the tree, and something else that will come to her all year.

Oh yeah, if you/she has a Wii, buy her Jam City Rollergirls once WiiWare releases it. It's a roller derby game for the Wii.


What is a good home remedy for grinding teeth while you sleep?
Q. My fiance grinds his teeth at night and I tell him that it is going to cause damage and pain to his TMJ, but he won't go see a dentist. What do I do? PLEASE HELP!!!

A. You can go to any chain pharmacy and buy a mouthpiece that is self fitting which is better than nothing and very cheap. Most you boil first and then have him place it in his mouth and follow directions for adjustment. If that doesnt help he needs medical follow up are he will loose his teeth after lots of pain!!!!!! I have TMJ and know what happens when you cant stop grinding your teeth and it isnt fun. Buy the mouthpiece for him as a get well gift. Hope this helps you.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment