Sunday, December 9, 2012

What does it mean to have the dentist excavate and evaluate a tooth?

Q. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and they told me it's an hour long appointment and they have to excavate and evaluate my bottom molar. What does this mean? I have really bad anxiety at the dentist so I am just trying to prepare myself for whats going to be going on. Can anyone help me figure this out??

A. Don't let this frighten you. Excavation can be a general term for cleaning the tooth prior to examination - removing tartar and plaque, that sort of thing. If this is a follow-up, it may mean they found a cavity and must remove (excavate) the decay before filling. By the fact that you said excavate and evaluate, I'm guessing this is a first visit and you expressed concern about the molar. So they are going to clean it and examine it and take it from there.

The best thing you can do is call your dentist's office back and ask them exactly what they mean. It will go a long way in helping you mentally prepare for the visit.


What is the difference between a night guard made by a dentist and one you buy in a store?
Q. I know the dentist night guard is a lot more expensive. But is it advisable to get that one over the other?

A. The difference is the one made by your dentist is called a functional appliance and the one that you get in a store is not. The functions of a night guard is to 1) protect the chewing surfaces of teeth 2) protect your facial muscles 3) protect your TMJ which is your jaw joint. A functional night guard has to be custom made so it replicates the contour of your natural chewing surfaces. So when you grind against the guard, your jaw is moving in a natural patent. A night guard should be about 2mm thick. when we are resting, our upper and lower teeth should be about 2mm apart. So the thickness of a good night guard would put your lower jaw in a natural relax position. That would prevent your chewing muscles from engaging fully and minimize pressure you apply on your TMJ.
Make sure the guard is made with hard plastic. Soft one would only encourage more intense grinding.


How do I find a dentist who is patient with claustrophobic patients?
Q. I've begun getting extreme closed-in feelings when my current dentist is working on me, and he gets snippy with me and doesn't have any patience for my problem. I need to find a patient dentist and one that is also on my ERS list of dentists. I have claustrophobia.

A. most dentist are very aware of this problem,and will work you through every step of the way ,i have had a major problem with anxiety,and dentist visits just inform the doctor they will help you.


How would a dentist treat a tooth that is decaying?
Q. My dentist said that I have cavity and she will put filling in my decaying tooth when I come for my next dentist visit. I thought dentists are supposed to remove it. Also, why would she wait for my next dentist visit to do something about it? :(

A. Hi, Bo Peep ~~

The dentist removes the decay, first by using a drill, and then excavates with a hand instrument. After all the decay is cleaned out, the resulting cavity preparation is cleaned, and a lining of some sort is usually placed, and finally the restorative material. This is usually tooth-colored composite for a front tooth, or silver amalgam in the back.

I don't know why your dentist is waiting to take care of it. Perhaps it's a very small area of decay, and is not progressing rapidly. In this case, there would be no harm in waiting for your next 6 month checkup if the dentist feels that the tooth is in no jeopardy by waiting. Sometimes cavities are are in the "iffy" stage - only just starting to break through the enamel - and using something such as ACT, a fluoride mouth rinse, can help to remineralize a questionable area. You should get some of this and start using it nightly.

Another good thing to try is Trident gum with xylitol. This has been proven to help remineralize questionable areas, as well.

If you're at all uncomfortable with the idea of waiting until your next dental visit, call her and ask why she's waiting to fill it. You should get a clear
explanation that will answer your concerns.

Hope this helps!~





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment