Sunday, December 9, 2012

How can I find a reliable dental hygiene state board patient?

Q. I am a dental hygiene graduate from San Diego. I schedule patients to determine if they are eligible candidates for the state board exam. However, most don't even show up for a screening appointment. I am looking for someone under 30 years of age, has not had a cleaning within the past 5 years, and doesn't smoke. I have put ads up on the free classified sections on the internet, but still have not found a good, reliable patient. I need help. And no, I will not waste my money on a finder's service, they are a waste of money.

A. no family memebers whose oral hygiene makes you cringe? ask all your neighbors for their friends or family. ask ask ask. you know they are out there. you might ask the local dentists- of corse their patients are being taken care of but i would bet that the staff has family members in need of a cleaning. lord, i know i do. but my family is in tennessee.


Is hard to find a dental assistant job fresh from school, and being a man?
Q. I am planning on doing dental Hygiene in the end, but thought I would start with assisting while I am getting my pre req.s done for the program. I am a straight man 38. Is it hard for to find a assistant job right out of school in San Diego? As a man? What will I stand to make to start..lowest/highest?

A. The dental field always has demand for mature, dedicated trained professionals. I want to emphasize the professional part. Acting with professionalism will go a long way in getting hired. Just because one has taken a dental assisting course doesn't mean they have the tact and caring that is required to be a good clinician. Know your material, be willing to learn, never be afraid of asking a question... there is much to learn beyond what school will teach you.

Being male shouldn't make much difference, I've worked with many male assistants and hygienists. What will make a difference is the quality of school you've trained with. Do your research. Call a few dentists and ask if they'd share their opinion on the best schools to attend in your area. DA school can be expensive, make sure you invest your money in a school that is recognized by the field. Also, check with COMDA to ensure the school is accredited.

Wages in SoCal are lower than other areas. I'm not certain on San Diego, but LA you can expect anywhere from $9-15/hr as a starting wage with no experience. Assisting will give you some experience and possibly benefit you when you apply to hygiene, but it isn't a necessary step. Ace your pre-requisite courses... I mean straight A's. Hygiene is very competitive to get into so you want a 4.0 GPA on those pre-req's.

Good luck!


Does anyone know of a good dentist in Mexico?
Q. I live in San Diego (with NO health or dental coverage). I'd preferably like to go somewhere somewhat near the border, but don't mind driving a little further if it's worth it. My boyfriend, who will be going with me, speaks Spanish fluiently. Please share your sources or experiences!! Thanks.

A. Go only if you want to get jacked and get some jacked up fangs!


Does anyone know of a good dentist in San Diego? I am looking for a dentist that does Invisalign?
Q. Does anyone have any good dentist that you have actually used? Got a website? I am just looking for a cleaning for now but want to possibly get more work done later.

A. My dentist is great! Whenever I go in for a cleaning I get a warm neck wrap, my own ipod to listen to, paraffin hand-wax treatments... it is my dental oasis. I now that she has a special deal going on right now too for cleanings and xrays, because my friend just started using her and found a discount on her website. http://www.goldentridds.com

As for invisalign, I have crooked top teeth and asked her about it also. We decided to do porcelain veneers as an alternative to waiting for my teeth to straighten with the clear braces, but I know she also does invisalign.

Hope this helps.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment